Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Hello everybody!!!

As most people who are reading this know, I will be traveling to Iceland for the semester!

I leave tomorrow (September 5) from Columbia, SC and will stop in both Washington D.C. and Boston before boarding a plane to the Keflavik International Airport. I will be studying in Solheimar which is a small Ecovillage of about 100 people.  Solheimar consists of people both with and without special needs, all of which contribute to help the community.  There are six main workshops in Solheimar: candle-making, weaving, organic soap-making, art, ceramics and woodwork, along with cafes, greenhouses and nurseries which all help keep the community sustainable and self-sufficient.  Solheimar is about an hour east of Reykjavik, the capital of Iceland.

While abroad I will be learning about sustainability, renewable energy, service learning, climate change, and icelandic culture and language.  I am very excited to join this special community and learn hands on about such important topics, especially in such a environmentally unique country!  If you are interested in reading more about Solheimar I encourage you to visit their website: http://solheimar.hlutverk.is/page.asp?Id=834.  I will post again once I arrive! Bless!

-Margie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment